Job Title: ISS Release Manager
Location; Based in Colchester
Reporting to: ISS Service & Process Manager
Purpose and Responsibilities:
The role is vital in managing software releases containing defects and enhancement requests, their priority and ensuring end user expectations are properly set and managed.
The role is pivotal in ensuring efficient use of resources across the Software Development Lifecycle SDLC and a central point for status updates on any BAU or project software change activity.
The role has the following responsibilities:
• Manages all aspects of the end to end software release process - management and coordination of all BAU and project driven software development defects and enhancements.
• Manages and coordinates releases with business engagement, business analysis, development, build, test and deployment teams.
• Ensures teams follow the ISS established policies and procedures.
• Provides regular communications and management reports on release progress.
• Manages the release package design, build, configuration, documentation and deployments throughout the SDLC to production.
• Ensures all changes and releases are traceable, secure and that only correct, authorised and tested versions are deployed.
• Manages the release acceptance including business sign off.
• Ensures environments and configurations are documented before and after the implementation of release package changes.
• Ensures that the Operational Lead and ISS Support Teams have an appropriate handover, support documentation and training in-line with every release.
Proven experience in Release Management
Experience working with outsourced software development
The role must ensure delegated responsibilities are actioned effectively by the relevant teams including solution design, delivery, testing and service delivery.
The role will require time in both London and Colchester to ensure strong working relationships are built with all the in scope teams involved in delivering change.
The role will work across a number (circa 8) of teams within ISS, some of which are part outsourced, as well as business customers in the wider Firm.
All ISS applications and sub-components are in-scope and fall under IT change management control.
Service Reporting & Governance:
• Ensures plans are in place to deliver Release Management to ISS service targets and on-going scorecard performance reporting.
• Chairs Triage Meetings where all pipeline and in-flight software defects and enhancements are evaluated, prioritised and assigned resolution. As a minimum, validate defect severities, revise as needed, prioritise resolution of the defects, and assign resources.
• Maintains Software Release Calendar.
• Owns Release Management process, policy and ensures records in assyst maintain quality and conformance expectations.
• Ensures all known IT risks are captured and maintained in the ISS Risk Register.
• Conducts regular process maturity assessments - identifying strengths and weaknesses around quality, conformance, process and technology.
• Promotes, proposes Continual Service Improvement Programmes (CSIP) to meet targets or respond to specific IT service issues.
In department All ISS groups.
In the firm Business representatives (as required).
Business services functional Managers ( Finance , HR, K&L).
External 3rd party software developers.
Service management forums / institutes.
Service management suppliers / vendors.
Good written and spoken English.
Essential Practical Skills:
Proven experience in Release Management.
Experience working with outsourced development.
Good understanding of at least 2 of the development technologies used at major Law Firms - (VBA , VB , C#, VB.Net, ASP, ASP.Net, MOSS, BizTalk, SAP ABAP, Java, SQL, Oracle, EMC-Documentum, Autonomy.)
Understanding of the techniques of system development and service management disciplines.
Understanding of the core concepts and key principles of application architectures.
Good understanding of leading industry enterprise technologies, namely:-
• Windows server 2008
• Exchange 2010 / 2013
• Citrix Xenapp 6.5 / PVS
• ITSM Toolsets, Axios assyst v10.
Desirable Practical Skills:
ITIL v3 Certification (Service Transition) or higher.
Knowledge of the legal market.
Experience of working in a matrix management environment.
Application of recognised formal planning and project management techniques.
Experience in software development and or testing.
SAP, or other ERP, configuration experience.
Understanding of the core concepts and key principles of ERP systems.
Essential Commercial Skills:
Understanding of the business relevance of software systems.
Experience working for a large professional services firm or similar.
Appreciation of cultural differences and styles.
Desirable Commercial Skills:
Experience within a Global Law Firm.