Scope and Purpose:
Responsible for directing the manufacturing operations performed during the shift; ensuring that safety, volume, quality and cost goals are achieved.
Coordinate the day-to-day activities of a team of production workers to ensure that manufacturing operations run according to established production specifications and schedules; volume, cost, and wastage targets; and quality standards.
Outline of duties:
· Responsible for the management and supervision of the operation and all activities during the shift. Including any incidents or security issues which may arise.
· Responsible for the health, safety and welfare of all personnel on shift.
· Work in a safe manner and have a proactive approach to all Health & Safety and environmental issues.
· Lead and co-ordinate the activities of a multi disciplined team comprising mechanical craft, electrical craft, chemists, quality control and production operatives to meet quality, cost, delivery and responsiveness requirements.
· Control production activities, material flow, and inventory to achieve cost and quality targets and production schedules of the operation during the shift. Oversee and review all activities including for example stores and warehousing where day management are not on site.
· Ensure compliance of quality standards and adherence to standard operating procedures.
· Monitor the volume and quality of output and adjust tasks, timing, equipment set-up, or inputs so that production specifications are met and resources are used efficiently.
· Supervise staff to ensure that all production tasks are performed, and all machines and equipment operated, safely.
· Prepare production reports so that performance problems can be identified and resolved.
· Manage the attendance and timekeeping system for all shift employees and ensure that Company procedures are adhered to at all times. Maintain accurate and appropriate personnel records including assessment matrices.
· Provide training/coaching where appropriate to ensure effective operational deployment.
· Promote quality achievement and performance throughout the shift. Promote Total Quality Management and Continuous Improvement.
· Liaise and work collaboratively with other shift managers to ensure a seamless transition in the effective running of the process.
· Prepare shift reports to provide information to the senior management team.
· Undertake rigorous investigatory reports for defective actions/situations where appropriate.
· Contribute to planning and decision-making within the business team so that the shift strategy and performance is aligned with other business strategies.
· Adapt /adopt the new methods of working and/or new technology the Company introduces and undergo training as the Company directs.
· H&S Managing Safely qualifications
· Management qualification e.g. ILM
· Degree in Metallurgy - Desirable
· GCSEs or equivalent in Math / English.
· Driving Licence
Previous management experience within the manufacturing sector and Health & Safety legislation specific to Heavy Manufacturing is highly desirable.
The candidate should have experience of working within a similar position managing a team to achieve the required deadlines in line with the specifications provided and have an awareness of health and safety requirements.