This position is to work as part of a team for a major rental company who specialise in nationwide powered access platform hire, from depots all around the country. This exciting company have a wide selection of access platforms or MEWP’s (Mobile Elevated Work Platforms) for hire including Cherry Pickers, Scissor Lifts, Spider Lifts and Low Level Access Platforms so no matter where you are, if you require access platform hire in a hurry, they will be able to provide an access platform to you in double quick time!
All of the access platform hire machines are powered by various fuel types such as Electric, Diesel and Bi-Energy and range in height from 5m to 45m meaning no matter what your requirements, we will have a machine fit for your needs.
The role involves maintaining core fleet vehicles ranging from small scissor type lifting equipment up to large Boom lifting equipment, under the supervision of a Depot Foreman who directly reports into a Regional Service Manager (North or South).
Main Areas of appropriate knowledge & experience required across varied but similar Access Equipment, other machinery with similar characteristics will be deemed relevant however competency will need to be evidenced in:-
• Engine / Hydraulics Maintenance
• Machine ID Plate recognition
• Filters / Oil Levels
• Fan Belts / Engine Mounts
• Generator Mount + Belt
• Coolant Systems
• Exhaust System
• Battery Condition / Auxiliary
• Hydraulic Checks, Oil Level, Leaks, Hoses
• Alternator Functionality
• Steering Assembly
• Pivot Pins & Bushes
• King Pins & Bushes
• Wheel Nuts, Tyres, Bearings
• Slew ring, Slew ring Box Fixings
• Slew ring Wear
• Canopy’s & Latches
• Tele Cylinder Supports
• Wear Pads
• Rams, Lock Valves
• Power Track Alignment
• Boom / Chassis Structural damage recognition
• Platform Rails / Gates
• Platform Decks
• Motor fixings
• Brake System
• Extension Decks
• Wiring & Connections to IEC standards
• Ignition Circuit & Key
• Controls Testing
• Safety Circuits
• Limit Switch Circuits
• Circuit Breakers
• E-Stop Circuits
• Cable Checking
• On Board Generators
The list is not exhaustive and also includes lubrication, painting decals etc…
• Reports directly to the Depot Foreman / Service Manager for the site.
• Time sheets in 8am every Monday morning and filed being prompt, neat & accurate.
• Job sheets / Breakdown / PDI / Thorough Examination sheets to be filled in accurately, neat and promptly.
• Good concise communication between hire desk and service team illustrating team working
• HSE (Health Safety & Environmental) responsibilities adhering to Kimberly Safety Risk Assessments &
• Toolbox talks - Signing off as understood, with sign off promptly when asked.
• Service Work Instructions (SWI’s) adherence & action.
• Understand why the business issues Service Work Instructions and comply, also be proactive with the Service Manger if further continuous improvements in servicing equipment can be made.
• Housekeeping ensuring that Engineering Depot Areas are clean, tidy and everything is in place (5S style).
Ordering, installing and returning parts
• Ensuring that tools and test equipment are properly maintained and calibrated.
• Assessing and monitoring equipment performance and noting any defects.
• Providing technical support and advice to customers and other service professionals as required
• Deliver good customer service internally & externally.
• Daily PDI checks and adherence to quality standards - Accuracy, as and when required to LOLER standard.
• PPE Adherence - Hi-Vis to be clean and visible at all times – ensure you have this checked periodically.
• Work wear presentation & pride, ensure cleanliness and personal hygiene whilst dealing with internal colleagues & customers.
• Adhere to company policy handbook.
• Keep Company Vehicles clean, tidy & presentable.
• Keep Tools Tidy and stored appropriately.
• Driving Company Vehicles as & when required (Driving License Required)
• Remuneration & General Information.
Essential minimum requirement:-
Appropriate NVQ level 2 in Vehicle Maintenance / Plant Maintenance with necessary experience. Ideally Level 3 / City & Guilds or equivalent.
ONC level also considered.
Knowledge & Experience .
General Hours of work: 8am – 5.30, Monday – Friday
Travel within the UK, overtime and work hours other than Monday-Friday may be required.
Employees are asked to work on a rota system and can be placed at other locations as and when required by the business – expenses paid.
All candidates will need to complete a mandatory 3 month Probation Period.
All candidates will be assessed on their performance in their stipulated duties.
On a successful probation period candidates will be offered a permanent position however if unsatisfactory they will either be given an extended probation or in worst case dismissed.
First Month in-house:-
Internal Induction Health & Safety
Engineering Training & Development
Within First 3 Months External:-
External PDI Course
IPAF 3a & 3b Course
IPAF Harness Course
CSCS – Health & Safety
Beyond 3 Months:-
IPAF CAP Course & Requirements
Manufacturers Training (Genie, JLG, Haulotte)